- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Kiwanis Club of Rockford honors youth
Tuesday, May 1, the Kiwanis Club of Rockford Youth Education (Y.E.S.) Committee, under the direction of Phil Davidson, will host a noon luncheon at Stockholm Inn, 2420 Charles St., for 15 Rockford-area high school seniors who will receive college service awards ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 to help defray college expenses. Dr. Jack J. Becherer, president of Rock Valley College, will be the featured speaker and assist in presenting the service awards.
With an emphasis on “Serving The Children,” the Kiwanis Club of Rockford sells kettle corn at various functions throughout the year and parks cars at the Rockford AirFest to raise funds to support both Kiwanis Charities and its Y.E.S. awards programs. One hundred percent of all funds raised go to support Kiwanis charities and service awards. Schools in the greater Rockford area are notified of the application procedures, and students from public and private schools in the Rockford area are invited to participate.
Scholarships are awarded in two categories: the Youth Education Service Awards, based on scholarship and service to the school and community, and the College Grant Awards, also based on scholarship and service to community and school as well as individual financial need. The College Grant Awards were started by a generous donation by the late Willard J. Corbett.
Recipients of the Youth Education Service Awards include the following:
From Keith Country Day School — Ashley Cox, Kanhai Farrakhan, Christina Shields, Paul Steffan and Michelle Zheng;
From Christian Life — Jonathan Stechschulte;
From Rockford Guilford — Rachel Shore; and
From Rockton Hononegah: Alexander Dunker and Emily Vogelhuber.
Recipients of the College Grant Awards include the following:
From Rockford East — Lynsey Rice;
From Rockford Guilford — Ceyda Bertram and Daniel Reitsch;
From Rockton Hononegah — Megan Baade and Rachel Slick; and
From Keith — Lauren Cox.
From the April 25-May 1, 2012, issue