- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
Rock Valley student named Silver Scholar
Rock Valley College student Janet Saldana has been named a 2012 Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Silver Scholar.
The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation sponsors the Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team program by recognizing 50 Gold, 50 Silver and 50 Bronze Scholars, and providing nearly $187,500 in scholarships annually.
Silver Scholars each receive a $1,250 scholarship and a special medallion. All Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Scholars have been listed in the April 23 issue of the USA Today newspaper.
Saldana is from Belvidere, Ill., and is a participant in RVC’s Running Start program. She is the vice president of Leadership of the Omicron Eta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa and plans to major in biomedical engineering at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill.
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society administers the Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Program and recognizes Coca-Cola Community College scholars during All-State Community College Academic Team Recognition ceremonies held in 38 states. Student scholars also receive local recognition during ceremonies held on campus.
Community college presidents or their designated nominators may submit no more than two nominations per campus for this award. An independent panel of judges considers outstanding academic rigor, grade point average, academic and leadership awards, and engagement in college and community service in the selection process.
From the April 25-May 1, 2012, issue