- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
Rock Valley student named Silver Scholar
Rock Valley College student Janet Saldana has been named a 2012 Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Silver Scholar.
The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation sponsors the Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team program by recognizing 50 Gold, 50 Silver and 50 Bronze Scholars, and providing nearly $187,500 in scholarships annually.
Silver Scholars each receive a $1,250 scholarship and a special medallion. All Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Scholars have been listed in the April 23 issue of the USA Today newspaper.
Saldana is from Belvidere, Ill., and is a participant in RVC’s Running Start program. She is the vice president of Leadership of the Omicron Eta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa and plans to major in biomedical engineering at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill.
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society administers the Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Program and recognizes Coca-Cola Community College scholars during All-State Community College Academic Team Recognition ceremonies held in 38 states. Student scholars also receive local recognition during ceremonies held on campus.
Community college presidents or their designated nominators may submit no more than two nominations per campus for this award. An independent panel of judges considers outstanding academic rigor, grade point average, academic and leadership awards, and engagement in college and community service in the selection process.
From the April 25-May 1, 2012, issue