- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Judge K. Patrick Yarbrough receives service award
Chief Judge Joseph G. McGraw has announced that the Blackhawk Area Council of Boy Scouts of America will present Associate Judge K. Patrick Yarbrough with a 2012 Whitney M. Young Jr. Service Award.
The purpose of the award is to recognize outstanding service of an adult individual or organization for demonstrated involvement in the development and implementation of Scouting opportunities for youth from rural or low-income urban backgrounds.
Judge Yarbrough is a graduate of Ripon College and Northern Illinois University College of Law. Following his admission to the Illinois bar, Judge Yarbrough was employed with the Office of the Winnebago County State’s Attorney from 1990 to 1997. Judge Yarbrough was appointed as an associate judge in January 2007. He presides over juvenile delinquency matters in Winnebago County. His professional memberships include the Winnebago County Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association and the Illinois Judges Association. Judge Yarbrough is actively involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters of the YMCA of Rock River Valley, the Blackhawk Area Council of Boy Scouts of America, and the Children and Court Courts Foundation (The Kids’ Place).
The Blackhawk Area Council will recognize Judge Yarbrough, Dr. Rudy Valeez and Crusader Community Health as their 2012 Diversity Award recipients at a Diversity Achievers Dinner at 5:30 p.m, Wednesday, May 9, at the Prairie Street Brewhouse, 200 Prairie St., Rockford. This awards dinner is held annually to recognize leading individuals, corporations and organizations for their significant contributions in building the awareness of diversity issues and initiatives in the Rock River Valley community. All proceeds will be used to support multicultural Scouting and Career Exploring. For more about this event, contact Tabatha Cruz at the Blackhawk Area Council at (815) 397-0210, ext. 7508, or email@example.com.
From the May 2-8, 2012, issue