- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Metals & Electronics Drive May 5 at Machesney Park Mall
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) will host a Spring Metals & Electronics Drive from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, May 5.
Residents are invited to bring electronics, appliances and scrap metal to the drive for recycling. The drive will be at Machesney Park Mall, 8750 N. Second St., Machesney Park, in the south parking lot near the JCPenney Outlet.
As of January, the Illinois Electronic Products Recycling & Reuse Act (State Bill 2313) banned the disposal of computers, monitors, laptops, printers and an array of electronics from landfills.
“We will take all of these items and more,” said Lori Gummow, executive director of KNIB. “The only fee involved is the $10 we ask for the removal of Freon from refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers per EPA requirements.”
Televisions are not accepted. Virtually all metal items will be accepted for free.
For more about KNIB, call (815) 637-1343 or visit www.knib.org.
From the May 2-8, 2012, issue