- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Monroe Crossing performs at Veterans Memorial Hall May 6
• Band offers electrifying blend of classic bluegrass, bluegrass gospel and heartfelt originals
Celebrating their 12th year together in 2012, Monroe Crossing dazzles audiences with an electrifying blend of classic bluegrass, bluegrass gospel and heartfelt originals. They’ll be performing at 6 p.m., Sunday, May 6, at Veterans Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St.
Based in Minnesota, this group plays an average of 125 shows a year at major venues and festivals, frequently for non-bluegrass audiences, and often win new fans. Monroe Crossing consists of: Derek Johnson: guitar, lead and harmony vocals; Lisa Fuglie: fiddle, mandolin, lead and harmony vocals; Matt Thompson: mandolin, fiddle, baritone vocals; Mark Anderson: bass and vocals; and David Robinson: banjo. Their paths crossed through the music of Bill Monroe, so they like to say they had a “Monroe Crossing.”
Among their many honors, Monroe Crossing was selected to showcase at the 2007 International Bluegrass Music Association Convention, and they were inducted into the Minnesota Hall of Fame in 2007. The only bluegrass band ever nominated as “Artist of the Year” by the Minnesota Music Academy (MMA), Monroe Crossing won the 2003 MMA “Bluegrass Album of the Year” award. The group also took home four awards — for Female Vocalist, Guitar, Mandolin and Banjo — at the Minnesota Bluegrass and Old-Time Music Association’s 25th Anniversary Awards Banquet.
Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Advance tickets are available at: Rockford Area Arts Council, 713 E. State, (815) 963-6765; both Postal Shoppe locations: Edgebrook Center, (815) 397-7301 and 2205 S. Perryville, (815) 484-0940; and JustGoods, 201 Seventh St., (815) 965-8903; or by mail: send a check and SASE to 420 N. Main St., Rockford, IL 61103. Indicate artist or performance date on check. Credit card payment accepted only at www.charlotteswebofrockford.org via PayPal. A $2 ticket processing fee is included. Print your receipt. Info: Call (815) 964-2238 or visit www.charlotteswebofrockford.org.
From the May 2-8, 2012, issue