- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Park District considers mountain bike trail system
At the April 24 Rockford Park District Board of Commissioners meeting, the board received an initial report about creating a new mountain bike trail system.
The bike trail would be at Anna Page Park, 3102 N. Springfield Ave., Rockford and Lockwood Park, 5201 Safford Road, Rockford.
The Rockford Park District has been working with Rock Cut Trail Crew to develop a comprehensive trail system for mountain bikers, hikers and snowshoers.
The new trail concept would complement existing equestrian trail activities, and encompass 5 miles of connecting trails that would wind through two parks.
The first and second phases (Trails 1 and 2) are brand-new multi-use trails set to open in spring and summer of this year. Depending on the success of Trail 1 and Trail 2, future phases may be added.
The Rockford Park District will work with existing horse and snowmobile clubs about future partnerships and collaboration. The Rockford Park District natural areas maintenance coordinator will assist the club with the trail development to ensure the park’s ecological areas are preserved. The Rock Cut Trail Crew will help develop and maintain the trail system, and will also be donating the trail markers. The club manages trail systems at Rock Cut State Park and Espenscheid Forest Preserve.
From the May 2-8, 2012, issue