- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
Taking the bull by its horns at RMTD
Our Rockford Mass Transit District (RMTD) busing company was dedicated unto our city by our ex-mayor John McNamara and his associates. However, I have witnessed for myself the deplorable condition of this bus station — and that the inside floors are hardly ever mopped.
And the outside is littered with discarded cigarette butts, and sometimes their trash containers are overflowing. Also, some of the bus drivers are not too polite because of their tight schedule. They have told people to “hurry up.” So, they (the drivers) zip around, and sometimes they don’t wait until everyone is seated. Because when I was getting on, the bus lunged forth, and I was flung against (hardly) the back of the bus’s seat, which caused my cracked ribs to get aggravated.
So, frankly, I don’t believe that the establishment does give a damn! And I ask, how can they remedy these problems? By hiring two part-time janitors (day shift and nightly), lengthening the bus drivers’ schedules, putting up “No Littering” signs. And teaching that safety comes first!
Philip J. Wilson
From the May 2-8, 2012, issue