- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Season-opening celebration at Anderson Japanese Gardens May 5
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s world-renowned Anderson Japanese Gardens will host its season-opening celebration from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 5.
Exhibits, displays and demonstrations will be held on the main floor of the Visitors’ Center from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Featured will be a Japanese artifact exhibit, bonsai display and demonstration, and origami classes.
Taiko drum performances will be at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. at the Pavilion.
Guest House tours will be every half hour from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., although no tour will be given at 1 p.m. Eight guests will be included per tour, with sign-in at the Visitors’ Center.
Additional displays and demonstrations will be held in the Guest House Circle from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Those features include kobudo, the practice of Japanese weaponry; and Okinawan kobudo, classical weapon traditions of Okinawan martial arts.
Anderson Japanese Gardens is at 318 Spring Creek Road, Rockford. Call (815) 229-9390 or visit andersongardens.org for more details.
Posted May 3, 2012