- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
Season-opening celebration at Anderson Japanese Gardens May 5
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s world-renowned Anderson Japanese Gardens will host its season-opening celebration from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 5.
Exhibits, displays and demonstrations will be held on the main floor of the Visitors’ Center from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Featured will be a Japanese artifact exhibit, bonsai display and demonstration, and origami classes.
Taiko drum performances will be at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. at the Pavilion.
Guest House tours will be every half hour from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., although no tour will be given at 1 p.m. Eight guests will be included per tour, with sign-in at the Visitors’ Center.
Additional displays and demonstrations will be held in the Guest House Circle from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Those features include kobudo, the practice of Japanese weaponry; and Okinawan kobudo, classical weapon traditions of Okinawan martial arts.
Anderson Japanese Gardens is at 318 Spring Creek Road, Rockford. Call (815) 229-9390 or visit andersongardens.org for more details.
Posted May 3, 2012