- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Season-opening celebration at Anderson Japanese Gardens May 5
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s world-renowned Anderson Japanese Gardens will host its season-opening celebration from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 5.
Exhibits, displays and demonstrations will be held on the main floor of the Visitors’ Center from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Featured will be a Japanese artifact exhibit, bonsai display and demonstration, and origami classes.
Taiko drum performances will be at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. at the Pavilion.
Guest House tours will be every half hour from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., although no tour will be given at 1 p.m. Eight guests will be included per tour, with sign-in at the Visitors’ Center.
Additional displays and demonstrations will be held in the Guest House Circle from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Those features include kobudo, the practice of Japanese weaponry; and Okinawan kobudo, classical weapon traditions of Okinawan martial arts.
Anderson Japanese Gardens is at 318 Spring Creek Road, Rockford. Call (815) 229-9390 or visit andersongardens.org for more details.
Posted May 3, 2012