- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
Season-opening celebration at Anderson Japanese Gardens May 5
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s world-renowned Anderson Japanese Gardens will host its season-opening celebration from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 5.
Exhibits, displays and demonstrations will be held on the main floor of the Visitors’ Center from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Featured will be a Japanese artifact exhibit, bonsai display and demonstration, and origami classes.
Taiko drum performances will be at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. at the Pavilion.
Guest House tours will be every half hour from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., although no tour will be given at 1 p.m. Eight guests will be included per tour, with sign-in at the Visitors’ Center.
Additional displays and demonstrations will be held in the Guest House Circle from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Those features include kobudo, the practice of Japanese weaponry; and Okinawan kobudo, classical weapon traditions of Okinawan martial arts.
Anderson Japanese Gardens is at 318 Spring Creek Road, Rockford. Call (815) 229-9390 or visit andersongardens.org for more details.
Posted May 3, 2012