- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
4-H Jr. Horse Bowl team competes at state contest
The Carroll/Ogle County 4-H Jr. Horse Bowl and Hippology participants had a great day at the state contest held in Champaign. Horse Bowl is a three- or four-person team like Quiz Bowl, and the contest is conducted like Quiz Bowl, but in this contest all the questions are equine related. The Hippology Contest is individual testing on horse judging, oral questions and a written test.
In the Hippology Contest-Junior Division: Katie Hoffman of the Carroll County 4-H placed 23rd out of 39 participants. Intermediate Division: Natalie Shaw, Carroll County 4-H, placed sixth out of 32 participants. Megan Poole, Pine Creek Valley 4-H Club, Polo, placed 19th overall. In the Senior Division: Mary Francque, Carroll County 4-H, placed fourth overall Senior Hippology.
Horse Bowl participants Natalie Shaw, Kaiti Collins, Katie Hoffman and Megan Poole were the fourth-place junior team overall out of 11 participating teams in the state. Individual scores for answering questions: Megan Poole, 14th overall; Katie Hoffman, 10th overall; Natalie Shaw, 13th overall; and Kaiti Collins, 35th overall, out of 47 participants.
The Junior team is coached by Bryan Hollewell of Milledgeville.
From the May 9-15, 2012, issue