- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
4-H Jr. Horse Bowl team competes at state contest
The Carroll/Ogle County 4-H Jr. Horse Bowl and Hippology participants had a great day at the state contest held in Champaign. Horse Bowl is a three- or four-person team like Quiz Bowl, and the contest is conducted like Quiz Bowl, but in this contest all the questions are equine related. The Hippology Contest is individual testing on horse judging, oral questions and a written test.
In the Hippology Contest-Junior Division: Katie Hoffman of the Carroll County 4-H placed 23rd out of 39 participants. Intermediate Division: Natalie Shaw, Carroll County 4-H, placed sixth out of 32 participants. Megan Poole, Pine Creek Valley 4-H Club, Polo, placed 19th overall. In the Senior Division: Mary Francque, Carroll County 4-H, placed fourth overall Senior Hippology.
Horse Bowl participants Natalie Shaw, Kaiti Collins, Katie Hoffman and Megan Poole were the fourth-place junior team overall out of 11 participating teams in the state. Individual scores for answering questions: Megan Poole, 14th overall; Katie Hoffman, 10th overall; Natalie Shaw, 13th overall; and Kaiti Collins, 35th overall, out of 47 participants.
The Junior team is coached by Bryan Hollewell of Milledgeville.
From the May 9-15, 2012, issue