- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
- ABC Supply acquires Siding World
- IceHogs recall Jamie Wise, next home game Dec. 26
- Jimmy Clausen to start for Bears Sunday against Lions
- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
ComEd/Nicor offer home energy assessments
By Drs. Robert & Sonia Vogl
President and Vice President, Illinois Renewable Energy Association
Since our article about home energy audits (“Energy audits save home owners money,” May 2-8 issue), we were made ware of another program run by ComEd and Nicor. Here is the information (taken directly from ComEd):
Program: Smart Ideas for Your Home
Highlights for the Nicor Gas/ComEd program:
• Provides single-family homes that are jointly served by ComEd and Nicor Gas with an assessment of the home’s energy use that will result in recommended changes that can improve a home’s energy efficiency.
• Assessment also includes installation of energy-saving products such as energy-efficient shower heads, faucet aerators, pipe insulation and CFLs.
• There is a $99 co-pay to receive the Home Energy Savings assessment. Similar assessments can cost up to $500. Currently, the assessment is $49 when customers call before May 31, 2012, to schedule their assessment.
• The total time for the assessment is approximately 2-1/2 hours per home.
• The assessment is performed by Building Performance Institute (BPI) certified professionals from Conservation Services Group (CSG), the program implementation contractor.
• At the completion of the assessment, the customer will receive a customized report detailing ways to save up to 20 percent on their home’s energy usage.
• Report includes a fixed-price proposal for completion of weatherization improvements that qualify for instant rebates (50 percent of costs up to $1,250) from ComEd and Nicor Gas.
• For more information about the Home Energy Savings program, visit NicorGasRebates.com/HomeEnergySavings.
• To schedule an assessment, call 1-888-821-9988.
From the May 9-15, 2012, issue