- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
ComEd/Nicor offer home energy assessments
By Drs. Robert & Sonia Vogl
President and Vice President, Illinois Renewable Energy Association
Since our article about home energy audits (“Energy audits save home owners money,” May 2-8 issue), we were made ware of another program run by ComEd and Nicor. Here is the information (taken directly from ComEd):
Program: Smart Ideas for Your Home
Highlights for the Nicor Gas/ComEd program:
• Provides single-family homes that are jointly served by ComEd and Nicor Gas with an assessment of the home’s energy use that will result in recommended changes that can improve a home’s energy efficiency.
• Assessment also includes installation of energy-saving products such as energy-efficient shower heads, faucet aerators, pipe insulation and CFLs.
• There is a $99 co-pay to receive the Home Energy Savings assessment. Similar assessments can cost up to $500. Currently, the assessment is $49 when customers call before May 31, 2012, to schedule their assessment.
• The total time for the assessment is approximately 2-1/2 hours per home.
• The assessment is performed by Building Performance Institute (BPI) certified professionals from Conservation Services Group (CSG), the program implementation contractor.
• At the completion of the assessment, the customer will receive a customized report detailing ways to save up to 20 percent on their home’s energy usage.
• Report includes a fixed-price proposal for completion of weatherization improvements that qualify for instant rebates (50 percent of costs up to $1,250) from ComEd and Nicor Gas.
• For more information about the Home Energy Savings program, visit NicorGasRebates.com/HomeEnergySavings.
• To schedule an assessment, call 1-888-821-9988.
From the May 9-15, 2012, issue