- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
Tom Heflin to speak at SwedishAmerican student Art Scholarship Competition awards ceremony May 15
Online Staff Report
SwedishAmerican’s Construction Management Department will hold an awards ceremony at 6 p.m., Tuesday, May 15, in the concourse area just inside the State Street entrance to the hospital, 1401 E. State St., in the outpatient waiting area.
Scholarship awards will be given to Rockford East High School art students who entered SwedishAmerican’s Art Scholarship Competition. Students participating are enrolled in art classes at East.
The artwork theme for the competition is “Healing through Art.”
“At SwedishAmerican, we believe that there are many paths to healing and that health is truly a balance of mind, body and spirit,” said Glenn Evans, director of facility planning, design and construction for SwedishAmerican. “Enhancing the hospital environment with light, soothing colors and sound, and a sense of touch, complements the healing process.”
Tom Heflin, local and renowned artist, will be one of the guest speakers at the awards ceremony and was a competition juror. A scholarship award of $500 will be given to the first-place entry. Other prizes and merit awards, as deemed appropriate, were decided by the competition jury at the time of judging. The student’s winning artwork will be displayed in the hospital lobby area throughout the next year.
SwedishAmerican is a not-for-profit, locally governed health care system, with headquarters in Rockford. The health system is composed of two hospitals, 30 clinics, a home health care agency, a foundation and an exclusive affiliation with UW Health in northern Illinois.
Posted May 11, 2012