- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center open house May 20
PECATONICA, Ill. — The Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center (Dhamma Pakasa) invites Rockford-area residents to its ninth annual open house from noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, May 20, at 10076 Fish Hatchery Road, Pecatonica, Ill.
Guests will be offered guided tours, an informational video screening, an opportunity to ask questions of a Vipassana meditation instructor, and plenty of delicious refreshments.
Dhamma Pakasa, founded in 2003, hosts10-day residential retreats at its 20-acre site just across the street from the Four Lakes Forest Preserve. During retreats, participants learn a non-sectarian form of meditation called Vipassana, as taught by S.N. Goenka. Vipassana means “insight” or “to see things as they really are.”
Currently, 20 10-day retreats are offered throughout the year to nearly 1,000 participants.
Visit www.pakasa.dhamma.org or call (815) 489-0420 for more details.
From the May 16-22, 2012, issue