- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center open house May 20
PECATONICA, Ill. — The Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center (Dhamma Pakasa) invites Rockford-area residents to its ninth annual open house from noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, May 20, at 10076 Fish Hatchery Road, Pecatonica, Ill.
Guests will be offered guided tours, an informational video screening, an opportunity to ask questions of a Vipassana meditation instructor, and plenty of delicious refreshments.
Dhamma Pakasa, founded in 2003, hosts10-day residential retreats at its 20-acre site just across the street from the Four Lakes Forest Preserve. During retreats, participants learn a non-sectarian form of meditation called Vipassana, as taught by S.N. Goenka. Vipassana means “insight” or “to see things as they really are.”
Currently, 20 10-day retreats are offered throughout the year to nearly 1,000 participants.
Visit www.pakasa.dhamma.org or call (815) 489-0420 for more details.
From the May 16-22, 2012, issue