- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center open house May 20
PECATONICA, Ill. — The Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center (Dhamma Pakasa) invites Rockford-area residents to its ninth annual open house from noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, May 20, at 10076 Fish Hatchery Road, Pecatonica, Ill.
Guests will be offered guided tours, an informational video screening, an opportunity to ask questions of a Vipassana meditation instructor, and plenty of delicious refreshments.
Dhamma Pakasa, founded in 2003, hosts10-day residential retreats at its 20-acre site just across the street from the Four Lakes Forest Preserve. During retreats, participants learn a non-sectarian form of meditation called Vipassana, as taught by S.N. Goenka. Vipassana means “insight” or “to see things as they really are.”
Currently, 20 10-day retreats are offered throughout the year to nearly 1,000 participants.
Visit www.pakasa.dhamma.org or call (815) 489-0420 for more details.
From the May 16-22, 2012, issue