- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Straight Line Stitch headline May 17 metal show at Bar 3
Online Staff Report
Heavy metal and hard rock fans are a fickle and discerning bunch. Bands that attempt to make a career for themselves by trend-jumping with half-hearted devotion do not last.
Straight Line Stitch has been steadily ascending the ranks of metal and hard rock through authentic and impassioned performances, an organic evolution of their writing and recording, and a tried and true road warrior mentality toward touring.
The band recently re-emerged as free agents looking for a new label home.
“I think, as a band, we are looking forward mostly to just getting back to basics, and at the very heart of that is hitting the road and letting everyone know that Straight Line Stitch is still going strong,” said frontwoman Alexis Brown. “There are some new faces in the mix, but the feeling and the essence of the band is still the same, which is to go out and give it all we’ve got.”
The band will headline a show starting at 6 p.m., Thursday, May 17, at Rockford’s Bar 3, 326 E. State St. Also performing are Beyond Threshold, El Diablo, Vintage Burning and Marquette. Cover is $10 in advance or $12 at the door. The club can be reached at (815) 968-9061.
Straight Line Stitch defined who they were early on in their career and held steadfast to their beliefs while making the natural progressions and growth of a committed touring band.
While being genuine at the core of a band’s being is an absolute necessity for credibility and longevity, it gets you nowhere fast if the songs do not matter.
The SLS sound is commanding and universal, engaging casual fans of hard rock and satiating the most stringent fans of metal.
The tenacious musicianship is on full display upon first listen, quickly establishing the virtue of the players.
The balance between aggressive punch and highly charged hook goes a long way to explaining the wide and diverse range of devoted SLS loyalists.
Whether sharing the stage with the titans of metal like Slayer, or playing a coveted slot at the punk-driven Warped Tour, Straight Line Stitch captivates and levels all in attendance.
Vocalist Alexis Brown is a blazing persona that demands the attention of a room. Throughout their songs, Alexis navigates a seamless shift from harrowing screams to heartfelt melody that adds depth and sincerity to their music. Her clean vocal parts never take a back seat to the punishing screams, as they are sung with an assertive power and spirit that soar mightily.
Posted May 16, 2012