- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
Bishop Malloy ordains two priests
Bishop of Rockford David J. Malloy ordained two men to the priesthood for the Rockford Diocese Saturday, May 19.
The Rev. Gerard Christianson and the Rev. Timothy Draper became priests at an 11 a.m. ceremony at the Cathedral of St. Peter, 1243 N. Church St., Rockford.
Christianson, 51, is a native of Chicago, son of Edward and Margaret Christianson. His home parish was Our Lady of Ransom Catholic Church in Niles. He attended St. Theola Grade School in Chicago; Our Lady of Ransom Grade School in Niles; graduated from Maine East High School in Park Ridge. He went on to attend Loyola of Chicago, Oakton Community College in Des Plaines and Northeastern Illinois University. He was a high school math teacher for many years before entering studies for the priesthood, which he completed at St. Paul Seminary in St. Paul, Minn.
Draper, 26, was born in Arlington Heights, son of Mark and Renee Draper. He is a member of St. Edward Catholic Church in Rockford. He was home schooled but also attended Forest Park Elementary School in Kenosha, Wis.; Meridian Junior High School in Stillman Valley; Stillman Valley High School, Stillman Valley; and Rock Valley College, Rockford. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Gregory the Great Seminary in Seward, Neb., and Kennick-Glennon Seminary in St. Louis.
The two men are the first to be ordained priests by Bishop Malloy, who himself was ordained a bishop Monday, May 14, in Rockford.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue