- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
Bishop Malloy ordains two priests
Bishop of Rockford David J. Malloy ordained two men to the priesthood for the Rockford Diocese Saturday, May 19.
The Rev. Gerard Christianson and the Rev. Timothy Draper became priests at an 11 a.m. ceremony at the Cathedral of St. Peter, 1243 N. Church St., Rockford.
Christianson, 51, is a native of Chicago, son of Edward and Margaret Christianson. His home parish was Our Lady of Ransom Catholic Church in Niles. He attended St. Theola Grade School in Chicago; Our Lady of Ransom Grade School in Niles; graduated from Maine East High School in Park Ridge. He went on to attend Loyola of Chicago, Oakton Community College in Des Plaines and Northeastern Illinois University. He was a high school math teacher for many years before entering studies for the priesthood, which he completed at St. Paul Seminary in St. Paul, Minn.
Draper, 26, was born in Arlington Heights, son of Mark and Renee Draper. He is a member of St. Edward Catholic Church in Rockford. He was home schooled but also attended Forest Park Elementary School in Kenosha, Wis.; Meridian Junior High School in Stillman Valley; Stillman Valley High School, Stillman Valley; and Rock Valley College, Rockford. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Gregory the Great Seminary in Seward, Neb., and Kennick-Glennon Seminary in St. Louis.
The two men are the first to be ordained priests by Bishop Malloy, who himself was ordained a bishop Monday, May 14, in Rockford.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue