- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
Blood Center offers Hot Dog Wednesdays, Ice Cold Slushies
Beginning Wednesday, May 30, and running through Wednesday, Aug. 29, Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) will feature “Hot Dog Wednesdays” and Ice Cold Slushies at donor centers in Rockford and Belvidere.
RRVBC will provide hot dogs and all the fixings to donors on Wednesdays. RRVBC will also feature ice-cold slushies each day throughout the summer.
Jennifer Bowman, public relations and marketing manager for the RRVBC, said: “Donors are our lifeline. The summer months are an especially challenging time to maintain a stable and adequate blood supply. This is a small way for us to thank our donors and hopefully encourage more people to donate. We encourage people to consider donating during their lunch hour on Wednesdays, and we’ll provide the lunch.”
Donating blood is safe and simple. You are most likely able to donate if you are at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health. People taking medications are not necessarily disqualified.
Following are RRVBC locations and hours:
• Headquarters and Downtown Donor Center, 419 N. Sixth St., Rockford — 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 6:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Friday; and 7-11 a.m., Saturday.
• Perryville Donor Center, 3065 N. Perryville Road, Rockford — 6:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday-Thursday; and 7 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday-Saturday.
• Belvidere Donor Center, 1740 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill. — 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Wednesday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday; and 7-11 a.m., second Saturday of each month.
• Freeport Donor Center, 461 E. South St., Freeport, Ill. — 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Thursday-Friday; and 7-11 a.m., second Saturday of each month.
The RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center, and is the sole provider of blood products and services to Beloit Memorial Hospital, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, Freeport Health Network, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more information or to make an appointment to donate blood, call toll-free at 877-RRVBC-99 or (815) 965-8751, or find RRVBC on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue