- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Blood Center offers Hot Dog Wednesdays, Ice Cold Slushies
Beginning Wednesday, May 30, and running through Wednesday, Aug. 29, Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) will feature “Hot Dog Wednesdays” and Ice Cold Slushies at donor centers in Rockford and Belvidere.
RRVBC will provide hot dogs and all the fixings to donors on Wednesdays. RRVBC will also feature ice-cold slushies each day throughout the summer.
Jennifer Bowman, public relations and marketing manager for the RRVBC, said: “Donors are our lifeline. The summer months are an especially challenging time to maintain a stable and adequate blood supply. This is a small way for us to thank our donors and hopefully encourage more people to donate. We encourage people to consider donating during their lunch hour on Wednesdays, and we’ll provide the lunch.”
Donating blood is safe and simple. You are most likely able to donate if you are at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health. People taking medications are not necessarily disqualified.
Following are RRVBC locations and hours:
• Headquarters and Downtown Donor Center, 419 N. Sixth St., Rockford — 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 6:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Friday; and 7-11 a.m., Saturday.
• Perryville Donor Center, 3065 N. Perryville Road, Rockford — 6:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday-Thursday; and 7 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday-Saturday.
• Belvidere Donor Center, 1740 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill. — 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Wednesday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Friday; and 7-11 a.m., second Saturday of each month.
• Freeport Donor Center, 461 E. South St., Freeport, Ill. — 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Tuesday; 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Thursday-Friday; and 7-11 a.m., second Saturday of each month.
The RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center, and is the sole provider of blood products and services to Beloit Memorial Hospital, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, Freeport Health Network, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more information or to make an appointment to donate blood, call toll-free at 877-RRVBC-99 or (815) 965-8751, or find RRVBC on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue