- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simons as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
June 30 deadline for state Emerging Writers Competition
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Illinois Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White has announced that entry forms are now available for the Eighth Annual Illinois Emerging Writers Competition Gwendolyn Brooks Poetry Award. Forms and other information may be found at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/lda96.pdf.
“Illinois has a long and rich literary heritage, and these new poets are adding to the storied tradition established by legendary Illinois authors such as Gwendolyn Brooks,” White said. “Many of our previous winners have had their works published. Great poems have the ability to enrich and enhance our lives, and I’m looking forward to discovering talented new poets in this year’s competition.”
The competition is named for the late Pulitzer Prize-winning Illinois Poet Laureate Gwendolyn Brooks, and is co-sponsored by the Illinois Center for the Book and Kevin Stein, who succeeded Brooks as Illinois Poet Laureate. Stein selects the winners of the first, second and third prizes.
The competition is open to Illinois residents age 18 and older. Entries must be postmarked by June 30. Cash prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place, and winning poems will be submitted for possible publication in Ninth Letter, RHINO, and Quiddity magazines and Poetic License Press publications. Winners will read their poems and receive their prizes from Secretary White and Kevin Stein at a ceremony later this year at the Illinois State Library in Springfield.
For more information, contact Illinois Center for the Book Coordinator Bonnie Matheis at (217) 558-2065 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue