- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Last chance to catch Avalon String Quartet at Mendelssohn June 1
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present the Avalon String Quartet in a concert titled “Rasumovsky Gets The Last Word” at 7 p.m., Friday, June 1, in Mendelssohn PAC’s Emerson Auditorium, 415 N. Church St., Rockford.
Concertgoers can experience the power and passion of Beethoven, enjoy light refreshments, and mingle with the artists after the concert.
The Avalon String Quartet, one of the country’s leading string ensembles, was formerly in residence at Juilliard School and Indiana University, and is now in residence at Northern Illinois University.
This concert is part of the quartet’s special six-concert series of Beethoven’s string quartets for Mendelssohn PAC this season. This program features three of Beethoven’s most revolutionary and popular works, commonly known as the “Rasumovsky” quartets after the Russian nobleman who commissioned them. These three pieces occupy completely distinct sound worlds, but Beethoven links them with brilliant musical threads. Though composed as a set, they are seldom performed that way; now, the Avalon String Quartet presents them as they were originally conceived.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. The sixth concert has been postponed until the fall of 2012.
Mendelssohn can be reached at (815) 964-9713 or online at www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue