- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Last chance to catch Avalon String Quartet at Mendelssohn June 1
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present the Avalon String Quartet in a concert titled “Rasumovsky Gets The Last Word” at 7 p.m., Friday, June 1, in Mendelssohn PAC’s Emerson Auditorium, 415 N. Church St., Rockford.
Concertgoers can experience the power and passion of Beethoven, enjoy light refreshments, and mingle with the artists after the concert.
The Avalon String Quartet, one of the country’s leading string ensembles, was formerly in residence at Juilliard School and Indiana University, and is now in residence at Northern Illinois University.
This concert is part of the quartet’s special six-concert series of Beethoven’s string quartets for Mendelssohn PAC this season. This program features three of Beethoven’s most revolutionary and popular works, commonly known as the “Rasumovsky” quartets after the Russian nobleman who commissioned them. These three pieces occupy completely distinct sound worlds, but Beethoven links them with brilliant musical threads. Though composed as a set, they are seldom performed that way; now, the Avalon String Quartet presents them as they were originally conceived.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. The sixth concert has been postponed until the fall of 2012.
Mendelssohn can be reached at (815) 964-9713 or online at www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue