- Tales from the Trough: Rockford skates into all-star break on high note
- Literary Hook: A poem for February
- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
Loves Park student named a Gilman Scholar
Chaz Hernandez, a student from Loves Park, Ill., who attends Grand Valley State University, has been named a Gilman Scholar for the summer 2012 semester, and will be able to use his scholarship to study abroad.
Grand Valley ranks among the top schools in terms of Gilman Scholarship winners. Collectively, Hernandez and eight other Grand Valley students will get $34,500 in scholarships.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is operated by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the Institute for International Education.
Hernandez is a cell and molecular biology major and will study in Costa Rica.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue