- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Loves Park student named a Gilman Scholar
Chaz Hernandez, a student from Loves Park, Ill., who attends Grand Valley State University, has been named a Gilman Scholar for the summer 2012 semester, and will be able to use his scholarship to study abroad.
Grand Valley ranks among the top schools in terms of Gilman Scholarship winners. Collectively, Hernandez and eight other Grand Valley students will get $34,500 in scholarships.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is operated by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the Institute for International Education.
Hernandez is a cell and molecular biology major and will study in Costa Rica.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue