- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Loves Park student named a Gilman Scholar
Chaz Hernandez, a student from Loves Park, Ill., who attends Grand Valley State University, has been named a Gilman Scholar for the summer 2012 semester, and will be able to use his scholarship to study abroad.
Grand Valley ranks among the top schools in terms of Gilman Scholarship winners. Collectively, Hernandez and eight other Grand Valley students will get $34,500 in scholarships.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is operated by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the Institute for International Education.
Hernandez is a cell and molecular biology major and will study in Costa Rica.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue