- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
Loves Park student named a Gilman Scholar
Chaz Hernandez, a student from Loves Park, Ill., who attends Grand Valley State University, has been named a Gilman Scholar for the summer 2012 semester, and will be able to use his scholarship to study abroad.
Grand Valley ranks among the top schools in terms of Gilman Scholarship winners. Collectively, Hernandez and eight other Grand Valley students will get $34,500 in scholarships.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is operated by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the Institute for International Education.
Hernandez is a cell and molecular biology major and will study in Costa Rica.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue