- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Loves Park student named a Gilman Scholar
Chaz Hernandez, a student from Loves Park, Ill., who attends Grand Valley State University, has been named a Gilman Scholar for the summer 2012 semester, and will be able to use his scholarship to study abroad.
Grand Valley ranks among the top schools in terms of Gilman Scholarship winners. Collectively, Hernandez and eight other Grand Valley students will get $34,500 in scholarships.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is operated by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and the Institute for International Education.
Hernandez is a cell and molecular biology major and will study in Costa Rica.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue