- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Thank you volunteers & sponors
Several weeks ago, if you saw thousands of bright yellow bags along streets and roads in Winnebago County, you should be reminded that they were not simply tossed there. The bags contained litter collected by some special people. Again, volunteers made our county shine like it should.
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful wants to thank the many dedicated volunteers and sponsors who made the Great American Cleanup a huge success despite a cold and rainy start. While tons of trash were picked up April 28, some volunteers decided (because of the weather) to take the following week to finish up. Targeted areas of need were cleaned from South Beloit to New Milford, from Pecatonica to Cherry Valley, and areas in between with the help of townships, cities, the county to include landfills, law enforcement and volunteer inmates. Thank you to the businesses, hospitals, industries, groups, individuals, banks and clubs. Kids and seniors worked side by side; a tip of the hat to the police who assisted.
The good that comes with all of this effort is, in part, to bring awareness of civic responsibility. By doing our part in making every day a clean-up day, we are together working to improve our community.
Keep it up, Winnebago County; we’re looking better!
Litter Control Coordinator
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue