- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Thank you volunteers & sponors
Several weeks ago, if you saw thousands of bright yellow bags along streets and roads in Winnebago County, you should be reminded that they were not simply tossed there. The bags contained litter collected by some special people. Again, volunteers made our county shine like it should.
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful wants to thank the many dedicated volunteers and sponsors who made the Great American Cleanup a huge success despite a cold and rainy start. While tons of trash were picked up April 28, some volunteers decided (because of the weather) to take the following week to finish up. Targeted areas of need were cleaned from South Beloit to New Milford, from Pecatonica to Cherry Valley, and areas in between with the help of townships, cities, the county to include landfills, law enforcement and volunteer inmates. Thank you to the businesses, hospitals, industries, groups, individuals, banks and clubs. Kids and seniors worked side by side; a tip of the hat to the police who assisted.
The good that comes with all of this effort is, in part, to bring awareness of civic responsibility. By doing our part in making every day a clean-up day, we are together working to improve our community.
Keep it up, Winnebago County; we’re looking better!
Litter Control Coordinator
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue