- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Thank you volunteers & sponors
Several weeks ago, if you saw thousands of bright yellow bags along streets and roads in Winnebago County, you should be reminded that they were not simply tossed there. The bags contained litter collected by some special people. Again, volunteers made our county shine like it should.
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful wants to thank the many dedicated volunteers and sponsors who made the Great American Cleanup a huge success despite a cold and rainy start. While tons of trash were picked up April 28, some volunteers decided (because of the weather) to take the following week to finish up. Targeted areas of need were cleaned from South Beloit to New Milford, from Pecatonica to Cherry Valley, and areas in between with the help of townships, cities, the county to include landfills, law enforcement and volunteer inmates. Thank you to the businesses, hospitals, industries, groups, individuals, banks and clubs. Kids and seniors worked side by side; a tip of the hat to the police who assisted.
The good that comes with all of this effort is, in part, to bring awareness of civic responsibility. By doing our part in making every day a clean-up day, we are together working to improve our community.
Keep it up, Winnebago County; we’re looking better!
Litter Control Coordinator
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue