- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Verne Fest May 25-26 at Davis Park
Verne Fest, a two-day festival tribute honoring Rockford’s No. 1 music fan, Verne K. Smith, will be from 5 to 11 p.m., Friday, May 25, and noon-11 p.m., Saturday, May 26, on Davis Park’s North Lawn, 300 S. Wyman St., downtown Rockford.
Smith, awarded the Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) Award for “Biggest Music Fan of All-Time” in 2001, drew the respect of so many local musicians that organizers of the event could not accommodate all of the bands asking to perform.
Smith died at age 64 Jan. 12, 2011, after a battle with esophagus cancer. A staple at live music events, Smith’s passing left a huge hole in the music community. Sometimes known as “Dancin’ Verne,” Smith was often the first to arrive at gigs, sometimes before the bands, and the last to leave.
The goal of Verne Fest is to raise funds to create a permanent memorial at Davis Park in honor of Smith, a RAMI Scholarship in Smith’s honor, and to make a donation to The Arc of Winnebago, Boone & Ogle Counties.
Smith participated in The Arc’s Independent Living program.
Tickets to the event are $10 in advance, $12 at the gate, and free for children 12 and younger. Tickets are available exclusively through the BMO Harris Bank Center box office, 300 Elm St., Rockford, online at www.thebmoharrisbankcenter.com, or charge by phone at (815) 968-5222.
Following is the musical lineup for the event:
Friday, May 25
5-6 p.m. — Rollin’ Whiskey
6:30-7:30 p.m. — Prime Time Live Band
8-9 p.m. — The Missing Links
9:30-11 p.m. — Big Daddy Woo Woo with special guest Harlan Jefferson
Saturday, May 26
Noon-12:30 p.m. — Daybreak (RAMI Youth Charity Jam winner)
12:45-1:30 p.m. — Black Damage
1:45-2:45 p.m. — Rubik Steel
3-4 p.m. — RIVE (members of Suite Oblivion and The Merkins)
4:30-5:30 p.m. — Iron Cross
6-7 p.m. — Pulse 18
7:30-9 p.m. — Audiodrive
9:30-11 p.m. — RIPT (reunion show)
Event updates will be posted at https://www.facebook.com/events/328464957219632/.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue