- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Verne Fest May 25-26 at Davis Park
Verne Fest, a two-day festival tribute honoring Rockford’s No. 1 music fan, Verne K. Smith, will be from 5 to 11 p.m., Friday, May 25, and noon-11 p.m., Saturday, May 26, on Davis Park’s North Lawn, 300 S. Wyman St., downtown Rockford.
Smith, awarded the Rockford Area Music Industry (RAMI) Award for “Biggest Music Fan of All-Time” in 2001, drew the respect of so many local musicians that organizers of the event could not accommodate all of the bands asking to perform.
Smith died at age 64 Jan. 12, 2011, after a battle with esophagus cancer. A staple at live music events, Smith’s passing left a huge hole in the music community. Sometimes known as “Dancin’ Verne,” Smith was often the first to arrive at gigs, sometimes before the bands, and the last to leave.
The goal of Verne Fest is to raise funds to create a permanent memorial at Davis Park in honor of Smith, a RAMI Scholarship in Smith’s honor, and to make a donation to The Arc of Winnebago, Boone & Ogle Counties.
Smith participated in The Arc’s Independent Living program.
Tickets to the event are $10 in advance, $12 at the gate, and free for children 12 and younger. Tickets are available exclusively through the BMO Harris Bank Center box office, 300 Elm St., Rockford, online at www.thebmoharrisbankcenter.com, or charge by phone at (815) 968-5222.
Following is the musical lineup for the event:
Friday, May 25
5-6 p.m. — Rollin’ Whiskey
6:30-7:30 p.m. — Prime Time Live Band
8-9 p.m. — The Missing Links
9:30-11 p.m. — Big Daddy Woo Woo with special guest Harlan Jefferson
Saturday, May 26
Noon-12:30 p.m. — Daybreak (RAMI Youth Charity Jam winner)
12:45-1:30 p.m. — Black Damage
1:45-2:45 p.m. — Rubik Steel
3-4 p.m. — RIVE (members of Suite Oblivion and The Merkins)
4:30-5:30 p.m. — Iron Cross
6-7 p.m. — Pulse 18
7:30-9 p.m. — Audiodrive
9:30-11 p.m. — RIPT (reunion show)
Event updates will be posted at https://www.facebook.com/events/328464957219632/.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue