- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Youth Track: Rockton seventh-grader wins state track title
ROCKTON, Ill. — DuWayne Patriq Jones of Stephen Mack Middle School in Rockton, Ill., had a great weekend at the Illinois Elementary School Association (IES) state finals.
Jones placed first in the 400-meter dash for the IESA seventh-grade boys’ division with at time of 53.51. He made it to the semi-finals in the 100-meter dash, and placed 12th overall, just missing the finals with a time of 12.58. He was also the anchor leg in the boys’ 4-by-400-meter relay that placed third overall in state with a time of 4:03.
Overall, the Stephen Mack Middle School team did well and is bringing home seven medals and one state championship title.
From the May 23-29, 2012, issue