- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
20th Annual MELD July 4th Classic Run and Walk
Rockford MELD will host its 20th Annual MELD July 4th Classic Run and Walk Wednesday, July 4.
The Flat and Fast Alan Hutchcroft Memorial 8K Run starts at 7 a.m., the 2-Mile Run starts at 7:10 a.m., and the Mile Fun Walk starts at 8 a.m.
Runs and walk will be held rain or shine.
Both runs and the walk will begin and end on North Madison Street in front of the Trolley Station. The 8K Run is a Rockford Road Runner Circuit Race and course certified by USA Track & Field.
Entry fee for the 8K or 2-Mile Run is $30 per person. Fee for Rockford Road Runners, Wildcats and students 18 and younger is $28.
The Fun Run/Walk entry fee is $20. After July 2, the 8K and 2-Mile Run fee is $35 and Mile Fun Run/Walk fee is $25.
Prize money will be awarded to the top three overall male and female 8K winners. Prizes in the 8K are $225 for first place, $150 for second place and $75 for third place.
Prize money will also be awarded to the top three overall male and female 2-Mile winners. Prizes in the 2-Mile are $100 for first place, $50 for second place and $25 for third place.
Masters prize of $100 will be awarded to the Top Masters (40 years of age and older) Male and Female 8K and $50 to the Top Masters Male and Female 2-Mile winners.
Medals will be given to first-, second- and third-place finishers in the 8K and 2-Mile races in each age division.
In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the race, all participants in the 8K and 2-Mile Run will be eligible for a $200 cash drawing in their respective races. The drawing will be held at the Awards Ceremony immediately following the races.
The event will include chip timing for both races, a Dry-Fit T-shirt for the first 400 entrants, food, snacks, water, ribbons for all walkers, and goodie bags for kids. Door prizes will be drawn from entries received by the July 2 deadline.
Registration forms are available at the YMCA, Runner’s Image, Peak Sports Club (both locations), Kegel’s Bicycle Store, the MELD office (3703 N. Main St.), and at www.rockfordmeld.org.
Late registration and T-Shirt/packet pick-up is from 3 to 7 p.m., Tuesday, July 3, at Carlyle Brewing Co., 215 E. State St., Rockford.
For more information, call (815) 633-6353, ext. 10.
From the May 30-June 5, 2012, issue