- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
- Drafts & Fare: Women brewers find more recognition in market
Discovery Center opens child-sized veterinary clinic
Put on a pint-sized vet coat and stethoscope, grab a chart, and take on the role of veterinarian, groomer, trainer or pet “parent.”
With real animal X-rays, an exam table and all the necessary tools, you can nurture the neighborhood pets back to health in the Tot Spot Vet Clinic at Rockford’s Discovery Center Museum, 711 N. Main St.
Childrenwill learn about the proper nutrition, grooming, health care and compassion for all animals in a fun and non-threatening environment.
In addition to house pets, this new and improved Vet Clinic now features a farm animal corral complete with a horse, sheep and pig that children can groom and feed. It also has an exam table, pretend syringes, scale, kennel, lab coats, X-ray machine and more.
The Tot Spot Vet Clinic is carefully designed to support the development of several important early learning concepts, including the following:
• Creative thinking: Imaginative/pretend play and dress up;
• Fine motor skills: Hand-eye coordination; holding animals and manipulating tools;
• Community Awareness: Role of a veterinarian in the community; and
• Safety: Pet health and safety.
The Vet Clinic will be at Discovery Center through the end of July. It is sponsored by the Greater Rockford Veterinary Medical Association and theNorthern Illinois Veterinary Medical Association Auxiliary in memory of Alicia McEniry.
Admission to the museum is $7 adults, $7 children (ages 2-17) and free to museum members and children ages 1 and younger. Hours open are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, and noon-5 p.m., Sunday.
Call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org for more details.
From the May 30-June 5, 2012, issue