- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Kortman Gallery brings art to new District Bar & Grill, opening June 1
Kortman Gallery will install a small exhibit of Rockford art at the new downtown bar and restaurant District Bar & Grill, which opens Friday, June 1.
Doc Slafkosky, Kortman Gallery director, said: “We really appreciate the opportunity to expand the visual arts in downtown Rockford. The urban art selected for District is a great fit for this exciting new venue. District owners Andy Roiniotis and Denny Trakas are reaching out to the neighborhood and feeling the downtown vibe.”
The exhibit includes paintings, prints, mixed media and photography. The art has an urban theme featuring works by Corey Hagberg, Mario Martinez, Joseph Stanley Goral, Manny Tang (china cat), Jesus Correa, Frank DiGiovanni and Ryan Davis.
District is at 205 W. State St., in the former Paragon location.
Roiniotis and Trakas are owners of District, RBI and Onyx bar and grills. They have said the new name, District, is a nod to the rebirth of a downtown zone for locals and a destination for music, drinks and sports watching.
“We are looking to provide good food and good catering for every person and event downtown,” Trakas said. “With our menu and great prices, we think we’ll have a great lunch crowd, too. We will also work to become known as an entertainment venue, with a variety of local music and surprises for our customers. Come on in. I’d like to meet you.”
The restaurant’s menu will include more than 80 items, vegetarian-friendly dishes and appetizers, specialty salads and lunch selections, in addition to dishes found at RBI and Onyx.
At approximately 8,000 square feet, the establishment will bring 60 positions to downtown Rockford.
From the May 30-June 5, 2012, issue