- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Freeport Civil War monument restoration team fund-raiser set for June 9
FREEPORT, Ill. — Almost two years ago, when Austin Bower was an eighth-grader at Lena-Winslow, he began collecting money to help repair the Civil War Soldiers’ Monument at the Stephenson County Courthouse in Freeport, Ill.
Now, Austin is about to get some help from family, friends and others interested in restoring the monument. A community fund-raiser is planned for 11 a.m.-5 p.m., June 9, at Freeport Junior High School, 701 W. Empire St., Freeport.
Several Civil War displays, re-enactors, fife music, speakers and a wool-spinning demonstration are planned to make this an educational as well as an entertaining event. Abe Lincoln plans to attend. A live auction will begin at 3 p.m. with Tyler Lobdell, auctioneer. Sandwiches, chips, drinks, pie and cupcakes will be available.
Admission is free, although donations are accepted. For more information or to make a donation, call (815) 369-4689 or (815) 369-4480. For auction listing and photos, visit www.lobdellauctionservice.com.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue