- Halberstadt: Pet peeve: NFL should take action on long hair
- Meet John Doe: Illinois’ minimum wage ballot question will bring voters to the polls
- First case of Ebola confirmed in the United States
- Tech-Friendly: Bending iPhones and iOS 8.0.2 update
- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
Freeport Civil War monument restoration team fund-raiser set for June 9
FREEPORT, Ill. — Almost two years ago, when Austin Bower was an eighth-grader at Lena-Winslow, he began collecting money to help repair the Civil War Soldiers’ Monument at the Stephenson County Courthouse in Freeport, Ill.
Now, Austin is about to get some help from family, friends and others interested in restoring the monument. A community fund-raiser is planned for 11 a.m.-5 p.m., June 9, at Freeport Junior High School, 701 W. Empire St., Freeport.
Several Civil War displays, re-enactors, fife music, speakers and a wool-spinning demonstration are planned to make this an educational as well as an entertaining event. Abe Lincoln plans to attend. A live auction will begin at 3 p.m. with Tyler Lobdell, auctioneer. Sandwiches, chips, drinks, pie and cupcakes will be available.
Admission is free, although donations are accepted. For more information or to make a donation, call (815) 369-4689 or (815) 369-4480. For auction listing and photos, visit www.lobdellauctionservice.com.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue