- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
Freeport Civil War monument restoration team fund-raiser set for June 9
FREEPORT, Ill. — Almost two years ago, when Austin Bower was an eighth-grader at Lena-Winslow, he began collecting money to help repair the Civil War Soldiers’ Monument at the Stephenson County Courthouse in Freeport, Ill.
Now, Austin is about to get some help from family, friends and others interested in restoring the monument. A community fund-raiser is planned for 11 a.m.-5 p.m., June 9, at Freeport Junior High School, 701 W. Empire St., Freeport.
Several Civil War displays, re-enactors, fife music, speakers and a wool-spinning demonstration are planned to make this an educational as well as an entertaining event. Abe Lincoln plans to attend. A live auction will begin at 3 p.m. with Tyler Lobdell, auctioneer. Sandwiches, chips, drinks, pie and cupcakes will be available.
Admission is free, although donations are accepted. For more information or to make a donation, call (815) 369-4689 or (815) 369-4480. For auction listing and photos, visit www.lobdellauctionservice.com.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue