- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
- Photos: North America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment at Rockford’s Midway Village
Freeport Civil War monument restoration team fund-raiser set for June 9
FREEPORT, Ill. — Almost two years ago, when Austin Bower was an eighth-grader at Lena-Winslow, he began collecting money to help repair the Civil War Soldiers’ Monument at the Stephenson County Courthouse in Freeport, Ill.
Now, Austin is about to get some help from family, friends and others interested in restoring the monument. A community fund-raiser is planned for 11 a.m.-5 p.m., June 9, at Freeport Junior High School, 701 W. Empire St., Freeport.
Several Civil War displays, re-enactors, fife music, speakers and a wool-spinning demonstration are planned to make this an educational as well as an entertaining event. Abe Lincoln plans to attend. A live auction will begin at 3 p.m. with Tyler Lobdell, auctioneer. Sandwiches, chips, drinks, pie and cupcakes will be available.
Admission is free, although donations are accepted. For more information or to make a donation, call (815) 369-4689 or (815) 369-4480. For auction listing and photos, visit www.lobdellauctionservice.com.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue