- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Freeport Civil War monument restoration team fund-raiser set for June 9
FREEPORT, Ill. — Almost two years ago, when Austin Bower was an eighth-grader at Lena-Winslow, he began collecting money to help repair the Civil War Soldiers’ Monument at the Stephenson County Courthouse in Freeport, Ill.
Now, Austin is about to get some help from family, friends and others interested in restoring the monument. A community fund-raiser is planned for 11 a.m.-5 p.m., June 9, at Freeport Junior High School, 701 W. Empire St., Freeport.
Several Civil War displays, re-enactors, fife music, speakers and a wool-spinning demonstration are planned to make this an educational as well as an entertaining event. Abe Lincoln plans to attend. A live auction will begin at 3 p.m. with Tyler Lobdell, auctioneer. Sandwiches, chips, drinks, pie and cupcakes will be available.
Admission is free, although donations are accepted. For more information or to make a donation, call (815) 369-4689 or (815) 369-4480. For auction listing and photos, visit www.lobdellauctionservice.com.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue