- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Golf: Larry Schlichting Golf Outing set for July 17 in Janesville, Wis.
BELOIT, Wis. — The Fourth Annual Larry Schlichting Memorial Golf Outing is set for Tuesday, July 17, at Glen Erin Golf Club, 1417 W. Airport Road, Janesville, Wis.
Named in honor of Larry Schlichting, late husband of former Neighborhood Housing Services (NHS) Director Christine Schlichting, the outing benefits NHS residents throughout Rock County and northern Illinois.
Since 2006, 713 families have gone to NHS seeking help to avoid foreclosures. As a result of NHS’s loss mitigation counseling, 210 homes, with a fair market value of more than $20 million, remain owner occupied rather than decaying because of vacancy. Many more of the remaining 503 homeowners are still in the foreclosure prevention process, waiting for the bank’s response to their request for a loan modification.
Registration forms for the event are available at http://www.nhsofbeloit.org/golf.htm. For more about The Fourth Annual Larry Schlichting Memorial Golf Outing or NHS programs, call (608) 362-9051.
Larry Schlichting was an avid sportsman and dedicated firefighter, who retired in 2004 after 25 years with the Janesville Fire Department. He was a faithful supporter of causes Christine worked for. The 2012 NHS Golf Outing honors Larry’s memory and serves as a way to thank and remember all the kindness and compassion he showed to others.
New for 2012 is the first Schlichting Cup — a challenge among stateline area fire departments with points being awarded for various activities both on and off the golf course. The Schlichting Cup will be presented at the end of the outing.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue