- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Help Atwood Park on Saturdays
Rockford Park District’s Atwood Center in Seth B. Atwood Park welcomes help from citizens to maintain and preserve areas of the park’s 334 acres while enjoying the outdoors.
The Park District’s second-largest park is uniquely diverse, with prairie, woodland, river and wetland areas that need special attention.
The public is invited to join the Environmental Recreation and Education staff on select Saturdays from 9 to 11 a.m. for a brief lesson about the area to be worked on, then pitching in to help with some maintenance. All ages are welcome; youth younger than age 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Snacks will be provided.
In addition to families, this is a great project for other types of groups as well — groups of five or more are asked to call (815) 874-7576 in advance to advise Atwood staff of attendance.
Stewardship Saturdays are scheduled monthly through September 2012; upcoming dates are June 9 and July 14.
The list of all Stewardship dates can be found in the Rockford Park District Spring/Summer 2012 Program Guide available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/programbrochures and at Park District offices and facilities, or by calling Atwood Center or Customer Service. These are drop-in sessions, with no pre-registration required.
More information about Atwood programs, facility rentals, and group activities and retreats is available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/atwood.
For information about disability support and accessibility for people with disabilities, call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue