- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Illinois Center of Excellence celebrates June 7 opening
Online Staff Report
The Board of Directors for the Illinois Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health and Justice will celebrate its formal opening at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, 1604 Parkview Ave., at 11 a.m., Thursday, June 7.
The Center of Excellence will equip communities across the state to appropriately respond to the needs of people with behavioral health disorders who are involved in the criminal justice system.
It will also provide technical assistance, resources and training to improve justice system responses to individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
Many jurisdictions do not have the information, training and other resources necessary to implement effective diversions or interventions to address mentally ill or substance-dependent offenders.
Event speakers include Jack Cutrone, executive director, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority; Dr. Anderson Freeman, deputy director for Mental Health and Justice, Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health; Dr. Martin S. Lipsky, regional dean, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford; Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert R. Thomas; and Justice Kathryn E. Zenoff, Second District Appellate Court and chairman of the Illinois Supreme Court Special Judicial Advisory Committee for Justice and Mental Health Planning.
Posted June 6, 2012