- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
- Parks and recreation vital to a stronger Illinois, report shows
- Illinois home sales see slight gain in October
- Rockford Rescue Mission on the front lines of battling war on homelessness
- Rockford Area Economic Development Council’s annual meeting highlights tech revolution
- NIU’s Dan Gebo named ‘Illinois Professor of the Year’
- ‘Botanicas de la Villita’ filmmakers featured in free lecture at Rockford Art Museum tonight
Illinois Center of Excellence celebrates June 7 opening
Online Staff Report
The Board of Directors for the Illinois Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health and Justice will celebrate its formal opening at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, 1604 Parkview Ave., at 11 a.m., Thursday, June 7.
The Center of Excellence will equip communities across the state to appropriately respond to the needs of people with behavioral health disorders who are involved in the criminal justice system.
It will also provide technical assistance, resources and training to improve justice system responses to individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
Many jurisdictions do not have the information, training and other resources necessary to implement effective diversions or interventions to address mentally ill or substance-dependent offenders.
Event speakers include Jack Cutrone, executive director, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority; Dr. Anderson Freeman, deputy director for Mental Health and Justice, Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health; Dr. Martin S. Lipsky, regional dean, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford; Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert R. Thomas; and Justice Kathryn E. Zenoff, Second District Appellate Court and chairman of the Illinois Supreme Court Special Judicial Advisory Committee for Justice and Mental Health Planning.
Posted June 6, 2012