- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Illinois Center of Excellence celebrates June 7 opening
Online Staff Report
The Board of Directors for the Illinois Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health and Justice will celebrate its formal opening at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, 1604 Parkview Ave., at 11 a.m., Thursday, June 7.
The Center of Excellence will equip communities across the state to appropriately respond to the needs of people with behavioral health disorders who are involved in the criminal justice system.
It will also provide technical assistance, resources and training to improve justice system responses to individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
Many jurisdictions do not have the information, training and other resources necessary to implement effective diversions or interventions to address mentally ill or substance-dependent offenders.
Event speakers include Jack Cutrone, executive director, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority; Dr. Anderson Freeman, deputy director for Mental Health and Justice, Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health; Dr. Martin S. Lipsky, regional dean, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford; Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert R. Thomas; and Justice Kathryn E. Zenoff, Second District Appellate Court and chairman of the Illinois Supreme Court Special Judicial Advisory Committee for Justice and Mental Health Planning.
Posted June 6, 2012