- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
Illinois Center of Excellence celebrates June 7 opening
Online Staff Report
The Board of Directors for the Illinois Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health and Justice will celebrate its formal opening at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, 1604 Parkview Ave., at 11 a.m., Thursday, June 7.
The Center of Excellence will equip communities across the state to appropriately respond to the needs of people with behavioral health disorders who are involved in the criminal justice system.
It will also provide technical assistance, resources and training to improve justice system responses to individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
Many jurisdictions do not have the information, training and other resources necessary to implement effective diversions or interventions to address mentally ill or substance-dependent offenders.
Event speakers include Jack Cutrone, executive director, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority; Dr. Anderson Freeman, deputy director for Mental Health and Justice, Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health; Dr. Martin S. Lipsky, regional dean, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford; Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert R. Thomas; and Justice Kathryn E. Zenoff, Second District Appellate Court and chairman of the Illinois Supreme Court Special Judicial Advisory Committee for Justice and Mental Health Planning.
Posted June 6, 2012