- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Illinois Center of Excellence celebrates June 7 opening
Online Staff Report
The Board of Directors for the Illinois Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health and Justice will celebrate its formal opening at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, 1604 Parkview Ave., at 11 a.m., Thursday, June 7.
The Center of Excellence will equip communities across the state to appropriately respond to the needs of people with behavioral health disorders who are involved in the criminal justice system.
It will also provide technical assistance, resources and training to improve justice system responses to individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
Many jurisdictions do not have the information, training and other resources necessary to implement effective diversions or interventions to address mentally ill or substance-dependent offenders.
Event speakers include Jack Cutrone, executive director, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority; Dr. Anderson Freeman, deputy director for Mental Health and Justice, Illinois Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health; Dr. Martin S. Lipsky, regional dean, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford; Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert R. Thomas; and Justice Kathryn E. Zenoff, Second District Appellate Court and chairman of the Illinois Supreme Court Special Judicial Advisory Committee for Justice and Mental Health Planning.
Posted June 6, 2012