University of Illinois Extension has teamed up with area farmers and local foods producers to offer the Fourth Annual Openfields Farm Tour from noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, June 10.
Openfields is an unique opportunity for the general public to visit local farms, ranches and gardens in the community. Attendance is free.
The following farms will allow visitors to walk freely amoung the fruit and vegetable beds, ask questions of the farmers, learn about growing methods and business practices, and observe farm animals in their natural environment:
• Cedar Cliff Farm, 2583 U.S. 20, Freeport, Ill.;
• Freedom Organix, 8406 Maxon Road, Harvard Ill.;
• Harrison Market Gardens, 9024 Harrison Road, Winnebago, Ill.;
• Hazzard Free Farm & CSA, 5111 Ahrens Road, Pecatonica, Ill.;
• Irish Grove Farm, 9027 Best Road, Pecatonica, Ill.;
• Jack’s Popcorn, 14105 Rowley Road, Durand, Ill.; and
• Plum River Farm, 5886 S. Loran Road, Pearl City, Ill.
To participate in U of I Extension’s Fourth Annual Openfields Farm Tour, download the event map and farm visitor information at http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw, or call the U of I Extension Office at (815) 986-4357 for more information.
From the June 6-12, 2012, issue