- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Blood Center celebrates World Blood Donor Day June 16
Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall, First Northern Credit Union and B103 are hosting a special blood drive to celebrate World Blood Donor Day from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, June 16, at Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall (located adjacent to CherryVale Mall).
B103 will broadcast live and give away prizes to the first 50 donors. All donors will receive a Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) goodie bag and lunch from Jersey Mike’s.
World Blood Donor Day is designed to thank and honor those blood donors who make transfusion possible, to raise awareness of the need for safe blood around the world and to encourage healthy, eligible individuals to give blood regularly.
“In celebrating World Blood Donor Day, RRVBC recognizes blood donors for their important contributions to our community and encourages others to follow their example,” said Jennifer Bowman, public relations and marketing manager for RRVBC. “It is important to ensure that blood is available whenever and wherever it is needed.”
Blood is needed in hospitals and emergency treatment facilities to care for patients with cancer and other diseases, for organ transplant recipients, and to help save the lives of accident and trauma victims.
Donating blood is safe and simple. You are most likely able to donate if you are at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health. People taking medications are not necessarily disqualified.
RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center and is the sole provider of blood products and services to Beloit Health System, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, FHN, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System and SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more information or to make an appointment to donate blood, call toll-free 877-RRVBC-99 or find RRVBC on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
From the June 13-19, 2012, issue