- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
Federal lawsuit against county may add breach of contract
The First Amendment free speech lawsuit (11c-50046) against Winnebago County and 13 individuals may be expanded to add a “Breach of Contract” violation.
The formal appeal has been filed with a local federal district judge requesting permission to amend the current complaint and add a “Breach of Contract.”
The defense suggested that by not furnishing a left-turn access to Michael Castronovo, the county “might” have created a “Breach of Contract.”
The plaintiff agrees, claiming that in 1993 the county sold him the rights to full access on Harrison Avenue, and then, in 2009, they voted to restrict the access by reconstructing a median in front of his property.
The “pro se” plaintiff (representing himself without a lawyer), missed a filing deadline, and thus had to file the appeal. The defendants in the case (the County of Winnebago, Scott Christiansen, Joseph Vanderwerff, Wayne Vlk, Frank Gambino, Pearl Hawks, Dave Fiduccia, Angie Goral, Kyle Logan, Kay Mullins, Tom Owens, Dianne Parvin, Steve Schultz and Dave Tassoni) would remain the same.
If the court grants the appeal, it would save all parties involved the wasted time and expense of a new lawsuit filed separately. The next court date is scheduled for 1:30 p.m., Oct. 17, on the fifth floor of the new federal courthouse building.
From the June 13-19, 2012, issue