- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Folk Music Fest at historic Gurler House in DeKalb June 16
• Event features Dave Balika and Friends, Barb City Stompers and Truman’s Ridge
DEKALB, Ill. — This summer marks the 12th Annual GHA Folk Music Fest, set to take place from noon to 5 p.m., Saturday, June 16, on the shady lawn of the historic Gurler House, 205 Pine St., DeKalb, Ill.
The afternoon will offer something for everyone. The event will feature three free performances by Dave Balika and Friends (noon-12:45 p.m.), the Barb City Stompers (1-2:45 p.m.) and Truman’s Ridge (3-4:45 p.m.).
Kicking off the festival at noon, Dave Balika, a well-known DeKalb artist, will entertain with bluegrass-style dulcimer music. The Barb City Stompers will enchant the audience with traditional jazz. This six-piece band is popular in the northern Illinois region for their mix of Dixieland, jazz and swing music.
Headliners Truman’s Ridge play “lightning-fast” bluegrass and gospel music with Chicago-style.
In addition to the great group of performers, there will be a food tent featuring Chicago-style hot dogs, chips, home-baked treats and cold drinks.
This family-friendly, open-air event is supported in part by a grant from the Mary E. Stevens Concert and Lecture Fund and sponsored by WNIJ public radio, with additional support by Big John. It is free and open to the public, although donations to support the historic house will be appreciated.
In addition, this year, commemorative buttons and T-shirts will be sold. A local Artists’ Market will feature beadwork and fabric arts.
Bring your blankets or chairs, and spend a musical afternoon on the shade-dappled lawn. In the event of rain, the event will be at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of DeKalb, 158 N. Fourth St., DeKalb, Ill.
For more information, call (815) 758-4897 or visit the Gurler Heritage Association website, http://gurlerhouse.org.
From the June 13-19, 2012, issue