- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Folk Music Fest at historic Gurler House in DeKalb June 16
• Event features Dave Balika and Friends, Barb City Stompers and Truman’s Ridge
DEKALB, Ill. — This summer marks the 12th Annual GHA Folk Music Fest, set to take place from noon to 5 p.m., Saturday, June 16, on the shady lawn of the historic Gurler House, 205 Pine St., DeKalb, Ill.
The afternoon will offer something for everyone. The event will feature three free performances by Dave Balika and Friends (noon-12:45 p.m.), the Barb City Stompers (1-2:45 p.m.) and Truman’s Ridge (3-4:45 p.m.).
Kicking off the festival at noon, Dave Balika, a well-known DeKalb artist, will entertain with bluegrass-style dulcimer music. The Barb City Stompers will enchant the audience with traditional jazz. This six-piece band is popular in the northern Illinois region for their mix of Dixieland, jazz and swing music.
Headliners Truman’s Ridge play “lightning-fast” bluegrass and gospel music with Chicago-style.
In addition to the great group of performers, there will be a food tent featuring Chicago-style hot dogs, chips, home-baked treats and cold drinks.
This family-friendly, open-air event is supported in part by a grant from the Mary E. Stevens Concert and Lecture Fund and sponsored by WNIJ public radio, with additional support by Big John. It is free and open to the public, although donations to support the historic house will be appreciated.
In addition, this year, commemorative buttons and T-shirts will be sold. A local Artists’ Market will feature beadwork and fabric arts.
Bring your blankets or chairs, and spend a musical afternoon on the shade-dappled lawn. In the event of rain, the event will be at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of DeKalb, 158 N. Fourth St., DeKalb, Ill.
For more information, call (815) 758-4897 or visit the Gurler Heritage Association website, http://gurlerhouse.org.
From the June 13-19, 2012, issue