- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
- Armed robbery reported at Machesney Park CVS
- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
Stephenson County Museum exhibit details growth of Freeport
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — The changes and growth in Freeport and Stephenson County will be highlighted in a new exhibit opening at the Stephenson County Museum June 20.
“A Century of Maps: Freeport and Stephenson County, 1870s to 1970s” will run until Aug. 5. Admission to the exhibit is part of the regular tour of the museum’s four buildings.
Plat books of Stephenson County from 1871, 1894 and 1913 will be on display, along with a set of 1899 Illinois Central Railroad maps of Freeport.
Highly detailed maps of Freeport created by the Sanborn Map Company of Chicago for use by insurance underwriters will be available for examination.
Other early maps of Freeport are also included in the exhibition. Early tools used by surveyors, including a Gunther’s Chain, are part of the exhibit.
Exhibit curator, Dr. Edward Finch, noted: “We learn much about how our county grew by examining maps from across time. Names of roads and streets changed, as did the locations of some roads. The growth of towns and the ownership of property are all recorded on these early maps.”
Stephenson County Museum, 1440 S. Carroll Ave., Freeport, Ill., is open from noon to 4 p.m., Wednesdays to Sundays. Admission is $4 for adults and $2 for children as old as 12. Society members receive free admission. The museum can be reached at (815) 232-8419.
Posted June 13, 2012