- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Experience life on a farm at Discovery Center June 22
Discovery Center Museum is turning into Old MacDonald’s Farm Friday, June 22 (11 a.m.-3 p.m.) as part of its Family Friday series. So, bring the family down to “E-I-E-I-O” and see what Old MacDonald has in store with goats, bunnies, pigs and more barnyard friends with this one-day event.
Climb aboard the combine and explore life on the farm. Hold baby farm animals, construct cornhusk dolls, guess that grain and test your farm knowledge with the Wheel of Farming game show. Transform cream into a delicious cracker spread, build and till a barn, plant seeds and watch them grow and much more. And, of course, you can visit the agriculture exhibit, Ag-zibit, to “milk cows,” see live bees in action, and more.
So, MOOve on down to the Discovery Center Museum June 22 for this hands-on farming experience. The event is included with museum admission: $7/person; free to members and children age 1 and younger.
Discovery Center Museum, in Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford, is a nonprofit organization providing hands-on math, science and art experiences for all ages with more than 250 hands-on exhibits. The museum is ranked the No. 4 children’s museum in the nation by Child magazine and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, “The 12 Best Children’s Museums in the U.S.
General admission to the museum is $7 adults, $7 children (ages 12-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., seven days a week. For more information, call (815) 963-6769 or log onto the website at www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue