- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Experience life on a farm at Discovery Center June 22
Discovery Center Museum is turning into Old MacDonald’s Farm Friday, June 22 (11 a.m.-3 p.m.) as part of its Family Friday series. So, bring the family down to “E-I-E-I-O” and see what Old MacDonald has in store with goats, bunnies, pigs and more barnyard friends with this one-day event.
Climb aboard the combine and explore life on the farm. Hold baby farm animals, construct cornhusk dolls, guess that grain and test your farm knowledge with the Wheel of Farming game show. Transform cream into a delicious cracker spread, build and till a barn, plant seeds and watch them grow and much more. And, of course, you can visit the agriculture exhibit, Ag-zibit, to “milk cows,” see live bees in action, and more.
So, MOOve on down to the Discovery Center Museum June 22 for this hands-on farming experience. The event is included with museum admission: $7/person; free to members and children age 1 and younger.
Discovery Center Museum, in Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford, is a nonprofit organization providing hands-on math, science and art experiences for all ages with more than 250 hands-on exhibits. The museum is ranked the No. 4 children’s museum in the nation by Child magazine and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, “The 12 Best Children’s Museums in the U.S.
General admission to the museum is $7 adults, $7 children (ages 12-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., seven days a week. For more information, call (815) 963-6769 or log onto the website at www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue