- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Firefighter Battle set for June 23 at Sportscore II
Rock River Chapter of the American Red Cross will hold its inaugural Firefighter Battle Saturday, June 23, at Sportscore II, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park, Ill.
The Firefighter Battle is a family-friendly event, testing the skills and stamina of local firefighters as they battle through a competitive course of obstacles.
The event is being held to raise funds for the programs and services the American Red Cross provides to the local community, including Winnebago, Boone, Ogle and Lee counties.
Firefighters representing fire departments throughout the four counties will converge at Sportscore II to see which firefighters are the best of the best. The action-packed, fast-paced event is unlike any other event.
Firefighter Battle event activities include cheering on your favorite firefighters; touring the REACT helicopter; seeing fire engines and tanker trucks from local fire departments; heading into the Safety Maze/Kids’ Bounce House; learning about fire safety through a 911 simulator; being a Junior Firefighter and tackling the “flames” of the kids’ Smoke House; and coloring firefighter pages.
In the last year, the Rock River Chapter of the Red Cross has responded to 91 fires, provided First Aid/CPR/AED training to 4,235 people and connected 338 members of the armed forces with their families during a time of crisis.
Rock River Chapter of the American Red Cross, 727 N. Church St., can be reached at (815) 963-8471.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue